The Virginia Transplant Games were created by Donate Life Virginia to show that donation and transplantation saves lives and that transplant recipients go on to live normal, healthy, productive lives. The games honors those who made all of this possible...the organ, eye, tissue and bone marrow donors and their families. During the games, transplant recipients and living donors compete in Olympic style events.
The inaugural Transplant games were held on October 1st 2011 and the response was fantastic. Transplant recipients and living donors from around Virginia and surrounding states participated in the namy events. Donor families were honored for the sacrafice of their loved ones. The games were truly an inspiring and moving experience for all. Please take a moment to view the 15 minute video of the games by visiting our re-live 2011 page to get a sense of the experience.
Donate Life Virginia is delighted to sponsor this biennial event.
The continuing goal of the Virginia Transplant Games is to increase the number of Virginians in the donor registry by showing that donation and transplantation saves lives.
Donate Life Virginia is a Virginia coalition of organ procurement organizations, eye banks, transplant centers and others committed to donation and transplantation, formerly known as the Virginia Transplant Council.
Donate Life Virginia serves to save the lives of Virginians by working to increase the number of registered donors in the Commonwealth while promoting organ, eye and tissue donation and transplantation. Donate Life Virginia is a quasi-state agency under the Virginia Department of Health.
The Virginia Donor Registry, which contains the list of individuals in the Commonwealth who have registered to be an organ, eye, and/or tissue donor is maintained by Donate Life Virginia.
Donate Life Virginia’s members consist of:
- Hume-Lee Transplant Center, VCU Health System
- Inova Transplant Center
- LifeNet Health
- Lion’s Medical Eye Bank of Eastern Virginia
- Mountain Region Donor Services
- Old Dominion Eye Foundation
- The Sentara Transplant Center
- University of Virginia's Charles O. Strickler Transplant Center
- Virginia Transplant Center, Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- Washington Regional Transplant Community
- Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
- Donate Life America
- National Kidney Foundation serving Virginia
- United Network for Organ Sharing
- Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association